Be informed! NY Voter Registration Deadline is Fri. Oct. 12!
Are you registered to vote?
NYPIRG, UUP, and Academic Affairs held a voter registration event over the weekend for Purchase College students & community members, but if you missed it, don’t worry. You still have until Friday October 12th to register by mail or in person. If you miss this deadline, your voice will NOT be heard in the General Elections on Tuesday, November 6th.
- It’s easy to register… just follow these directions from the New York State Board of Elections: http://www.elections.ny.gov/VotingRegister.html.
- You can even print and fill out your New York Voter Registration Form right now and mail it to the appropriate county seat. Your form must be postmarked on or before Oct. 12th and must be received by Oct. 17th.
- Too slow? Just register to vote online at http://registertovote.org.
Not a New York resident?
You can also google “voter registration” plus the name of your home state, (i.e. “voter registration Pennsylvania”). Make sure you look for web addresses that end in “.gov”
Not sure if you’re registered?
You can verify your registration status here.
Don’t know enough about the candidates or the issues?
There are lots of nonpartisan groups that provide analyses of each candidate from Presidential to Congressional to local state assembly members and senators. Here are a few reliable sources of side-by-side candidate comparisons:
- League of Women Voters’s Voter Education site: http://www.smartvoter.org/
- League of Women Voters’ Election and Ballot information: http://www.vote411.org/
- Project Vote Smart (founded by bipartisan ex-Presidents Jimmy Carter, Gerald Ford, & ex-Candidate Barry Goldwater): http://votesmart.org/
- C-Span Campaign 2012: Side-by-Side video of candidates on the issues: http://campaign2012.c-span.org/issues